The business partnership of C.A.PAPAELLINAS Group for Mastiha Art of Nature products has taken on a new dimension
A new era has begun for the international promotion of Chios mastiha products, with the establishment and operation of the Mastiha Research & Development Centre in the village of Kallimasia of Chios, situated 13 km south of the island’s capital.
With the opening ceremony of the Centre, which was solemnly held on Saturday, 29 April 2023, a long-held dream of the Chios Mastiha Growers Union came true that aspires to best highlight the qualities of mastiha, the diamond of Chios, which together with shipping, is a key pillar of the island’s development, at the least.
- The realization of this very important project brings another, major, dimension to the business partnership of the Group, that in November 2021 took over the distribution and promotion of MASTIHA Art of Nature mastic parapharmaceutical products in Cyprus.
A PIONEERING PROJECT
The Mastiha Research Centre is a pioneering and flagship sustainable development project that cost over 3 million euros, opening new “investment” channels, as it shall contribute to the production of new and innovative products based on Chios mastic, with emphasis on the pharmaceutical industry.
Typical is what has been highlighted during the opening ceremony:
- Konstantinos Ganiaris, President of the Centre: “Today we are writing a brilliant page and one of the most significant in the Greek agricultural cooperatives. With the new investment, mastiha and its derivatives will be positioned on more favourable terms in the international economic environment, attaching greater value to both mastiha and its growers”.
- Giorgos Toumpos, President of the Chios Mastiha Growers Association: “With the creation of the Mastiha Research Centre, the Chios Mastiha Growers Association enters a new development phase, of greater extroversion, further verticalization and scientific substantiation.”
- Christiana Kalogirou, Secretary General of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food: “The power of mastiha is the power of the people of Chios, and with the new investment, new perspectives are being created for the diamond of the island.”
The Mastiha Research Centre was inaugurated by an eminent Greek native of Chios, Sir Menelaos Pangalos, a distinguished member of the international scientific community and Executive Vice President of AstraZeneca.
The Chian scientist praised the importance of the establishment of the Centre saying that, “it is important in revealing the magic of Chios mastiha”. Moreover, in retracing the history of the use of Chios mastiha from the time of Hippocrates until today, he noted that Chios mastic is also found in people’s everyday life in the UK, where he lives and works, as it is used for diseases related to the digestive system.
CHIOS MASTIC GUM GROWERS ASSOCIATION
The Chios Mastic Gum Growers Association has approximately 4,500 members. It cooperates closely with the private sector and has succeeded, together with the whole group of its growers-associates, in generating sales of 35 million euros. It founded the subsidiary company Mediterra S.A. which is listed in the Athens Stock Exchange and processes the raw material produced by the Cooperatives. Chios mastiha is largely used in food, beverages, refreshments, drinks, cosmetics, parapharmaceutical and pharmaceutical products.
SHAREHOLDERS AND THEIR VISION
The founding shareholders of the Mastiha Research & Development Centre are the Chios Mastic Gum Growers Association (36%), and the companies Mediterra (36%), Iasis Pharma (20%), PharmaQ (4%) and PharmaGnose (4%).
The shareholders envision the Mastiha Research Centre as a reliable body destined to coordinate the academic debate and scientific research on Chios mastic. A research centre that will systematically record the findings of global scientific research, seek new and develop existing ways of use and, ultimately, act as a Bridge of Knowledge between the academic community and Industrial Companies of all sectors that invest, or want to invest in Chios mastic.
MASTIHA Art of Nature
The MASTIHA Art of Nature product line, which includes food supplements, oral hygiene and skin care products, offers to customers the uniquely beneficial therapeutic properties of Chios Mastic.
In particular, the beneficial effect of Chios mastic against diseases of the digestive system (such as functional dyspepsia, peptic ulcer and ulcerative colitis) has been scientifically proven. In addition, with its significant antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory action, it contributes to oral hygiene, while it is also a natural antioxidant. Last but not least, Chios mastiha contributes to wound healing and skin regeneration.
It should be noted that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has officially approved Chios Mastic as a Traditional Medicinal Product of Herbal Origin, with therapeutic indications for the treatment of skin inflammation and gastrointestinal problems. Moreover, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has authorized Chios Mastic’s contribution to a healthy gastrointestinal system, with a beneficial effect on oral hygiene.
The MASTIHA Art of Nature line includes products in the following three main categories in which Mastiha has a beneficial effect: Gastrointestinal System, Oral Hygiene and Skin Care.
- It is noted that in the context of keeping its associates in the retail pharmaceutical sector informed, C.A. Papaellinas Group, in collaboration with Mediterra S.A., held a special presentation on 29 June 2022, on “Mastiha the Greek Superfood: The holistic approach for the natural care of the digestive system & oral hygiene.”
The main guest speakers were the doctors, Dr Ioannis Georgiadis, Endocrinologist – Diabetologist, MSc in Biostatistics and PhD from the Medical School of Athens, NKUA, and Dr Andreas Karamouzos, PhD in Orthodontics, AUTH, President of the Chios Dental Association and the Hellenic Professional Union of Orthodontists.
The MASTIHA Art of Nature product range is available at Holland & Barrett stores and pharmacies throughout Cyprus.